Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mount Vernon, Washington

I had an hour to wander the streets of Mount Vernon as I waited for a friend.
I was particularly interested in seeing the town as it had attempted to rejuvenate the down town area.
The town is old.  A couple of malls had been created on I-5 and the downtown was in danger of becoming a street of empty storefronts.
Many of the shops on the main street are empty.  I also walked the alleys.  I was surprised at what I saw and wondered how some of it passed inspections.

My home town has recently buried the electrical lines in the down town.  Not so in Mount Vernon.

I was surprised at the lack of up keep on the buildings.  Even this one, on a paved square with benches, plants, etc., had a second story in need of painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment