Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Slide Lake Trail

Another hike I took over the last weekend was to Slide Lake, the only lake in the Glacier Peak Wilderness accessible by a maintained trail.
Right before you reach the lake you see a boulder field. Trail guides mention a beautiful blue pond here, as did a fisherman. He was dismayed to see the little bit of water there, from the low winter snow pack, I'm sure.
The hike goes through many boulder fields, such as these covered with moss. It was so quiet it seemed like I could hear birds from miles away.
Here is yet another boulder field.
The trail was narrow and sometimes hard to follow. There were times, as I went through patches of blueberry bushes, that it looked like a deer trail.
I had been warned by the fishermen I met at the trailhead that there were many windfalls and the trail might be difficult. There were many windfalls, most of which had been cut. There was one as I neared the lake that I just could not find a way over. It was overcast and the huge log was wet so I turned around, satisfied with a glimpse of the lake.
There were a few flowers but at 3,100 feet, more may be coming later. The longest part of this hike was getting to the trailhead, a nearly 20 mile drive on a forest road.

No comments:

Post a Comment